pa·tri·o·teer | \ ¦pā-trē-ə-¦tir\
Definition of patrioteer
(Entry 1 of 2)
: one who makes an ostentatious show of patriotism from venal or degraded motives : an insincere, misguided, or spurious patriot : flag-waver they are quick to detect the phony and they can distinguish a patriot from a patrioteer— Dorothy Thompson catchword patrioteers— S. V. Benét patrioteers, roaring nationalists and reformers with apparently simple devices for making the world better and safer— Stanley Walker
Definition of patrioteer (Entry 2 of 2)
: to behave as a patrioteer
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Do You 'Rein In' or 'Reign In' Something?
- Tiger Mom, Helicopter Parent, and More Words for Parenting Types
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 6/21/19
- An Overview of the Contronym 'Overlook'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game