Definition of chanticleer
: rooster … now that that antisocial chanticleer has bitten the dust, the henhouse is as gentle and peaceful as a nunnery … — Science 83 — typically used like a proper name … to brag as lustily as chanticleer in the morning, standing on his roost, if only to wake my neighbors up.— Henry David ThoreauAs to poor Crusoe in the self-same sea, no saint's bell pealed forth the lapse of week or month; each day went by unchallenged; no chanticleer announced those sultry dawns, no lowing herds those poisonous nights.— Herman Melville
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Words of the Week - 6/18/21
- The Disparity Between 'Desperate' and 'Disparate'
- An Impartial View of 'Fair' and 'Fare'
- A Guide to Em Dashes, En Dashes, and Hyphens
Ask the Editors
- Return of Name that Color! Take the quiz
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game