Examples of patience in a Sentence
- To be a biographer is a somewhat peculiar endeavor. It seems to me it requires not only the tact, patience, and thoroughness of a scholar but also the stamina of a horse. —Nancy Milford, Vanity Fair, August 2001
- … in this time of bioethical conundrums, it is good to know that patience, good will, and personal morality will untie far more intellectual knots than the disarray of rancor, conflict, and special interests … —Sherwin B. Nuland, New Republic, 13 Dec. 1999
- Mind-numbing delays and irrelevant search results are enough to try the patience of the most saintly Web surfers. —Neil Gross et al., Business Week, 14 June 1999
- After a while, their ideological certitudes tried the patience of their own peoples … —Arthur M. Schlesinger, Jr., New Yorker, 16 Nov. 1992
I don't have the patience to wait in line for hours just to buy a ticket.
Investors need to have patience. The economy will improve soon.
She treated her students with great patience and humor.
I don't have the patience to do crossword puzzles.
Recent Examples of patience from the Web
His performance of the first movement was the epitome of patience and control.
Even though sellers still have leverage in negotiations, many buyers are showing patience and not overpaying, said Adam Gurewicz, of Re/Max Advisors in Fort Lauderdale.
The injury required the three stitches and four months of patience, something Nees was familiar with.
The year-old downtown Charleston operation has no patience for frills or anywhere to store them: Bar Normandy takes over a sandwich shop, Normandy Farm Bakery, on the south side of Broad Street daily at 4 p.m.
If patience is a virtue, RailCats left-hander Andy Roberts rates as among the most virtuous people on the planet.
While President Vladimir Putin didn’t hit back when the U.S. expelled 35 Russian diplomats and seized two embassy compounds in December over the meddling, the Kremlin says patience is running out over Trump’s failure to reverse the penalties.
Two days into padded practices in training camp and the edgy Dallas Cowboys are already losing patience with each other.
There are signs, however, that the Court may be running out of patience.
These example sentences are selected automatically from various online news sources to reflect current usage of the word 'patience.' Views expressed in the examples do not represent the opinion of Merriam-Webster or its editors. Send us feedback.
Synonymsforbearance, long-suffering, sufferance, tolerance
Related Wordsacquiescence, resignation; passiveness, passivity; amenability, compliance, conformism, docility, obedience, subordination, tractability, willingness; discipline, self-control; submission, submissiveness
Near Antonymsdefiance; contrariness, disobedience, insubordination, intractability, recalcitrance, resistance, willfulness
PATIENCE Defined for Kids
Definition of patience for Students
- A person will need patience to do this work.
Seen and Heard
What made you want to look up patience? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).