patch upphrasal verb
Definition of patch up
1 : to deal with (a problem, disagreement, etc.) in order to improve or repair a relationship They finally patched up their differences. He is going to try to patch things up with his girlfriend.
2 : to give quick and usually temporary medical treatment to (someone or something) The doctor patched him up, so he's going to be as good as new. She patched up his wounded arm.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game