variants: or less commonly palmella form
Definition of palmella stage
: a colonial aggregate of immobile nonflagellated individuals occurring regularly in the life cycle or in response to increased firmness of medium of some flagellated green algae or plantlike flagellates (as members of the genera Euglena and Chlamydomonas)
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- It's a Scorcher! Words for the Summer Heat
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?