variants: or own-rooted \ ˈ⸗¦⸗⸗ \
Definition of own-root
of a plant
: growing on its own roots rather than on roots obtained from a stock : developing from a seed, cutting, or layer rather than from grafting or budding own-root roses are frequently less vigorous than budded stock — compare seedling-rooted
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
- The Haiku That Can Pay You Contest Winners
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game