Definition of oversolicitous
: having or showing too much solicitude or concern for someone's health, happiness, comfort, etc. : excessively solicitous … our table was subjected to a relentless swarm of oversolicitous servers, which left us wondering if someone in our party—which included a few other food writers—was marked.— Mike Sula Overprotective and oversolicitous parents may inadvertently encourage the child to pay an inordinate amount of attention to his bodily sensations and functions.— Stella Chess and Mahin Hassibi … it is important that the therapists provide social warmth and graciousness without being oversolicitous.— David V. Keith
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
- At the Root of ‘Cubicle’
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game