Definition of oversmoke
: to smoke to excess: such as
a : to expose (a food) to too much smoke during curing The biggest mistake people make is they oversmoke it. There's a lot of mistakes you can make with barbecue.— Joel Sexton I like to use a mix of hickory and fruitwoods to smoke my hams, but please yourself, keeping in mind that stronger woods like hickory will impart a bitter taste if you oversmoke, …— Tom Mylan
b : to smoke tobacco to excess The Swami admitted that he oversmokes. "You must listen to me," he giggled, "not follow me."— Christopher Isherwood In less striking ways youth risks much: turning night into day; oversmoking cigarettes, overeating rich foods and sweets …— Frederick Houk Law
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game