Definition of overpump
: to pump (something) excessively especially : to pump water from (a water source) at a greater rate than it is replenished overpumping groundwater When the aquifer is overpumped, the dropping water level can make shallower wells useless. — Dan Feldstein When a drought hits and imported water is reduced, farmers start overpumping and subsidence continues. — William M. Alley and Rosemarie Alley
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Is the Word 'Freshman' Going Out of Style?
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?