Definition of overmature
: past the age or condition of maturity: such as
a : beyond the stage of desirable or optimal development or productivity overmature wax beans The older the better as far as nuthatches view it. Their favorite trees are "overmature" ones: aging and touched with decay, filled with nest holes and insects …— Rick Marsi
b : past the middle portion of a cycle of erosion overmature rocks
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why is there a 'd' in 'fridge' but not in 'refrigerator'?
- 'All Intensive Purposes' or 'All Intents and Purposes'?
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- Words You Should Know Quiz, Vol. 1 Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game