Definition of overidentify
- a therapist overidentifying with a client
- The danger of overidentifying with animals, particularly carnivores, is that it leads people to expect human behavior of them.
- —Dana Goodyear
- [Russell] Moore worries that conservative Evangelicals have overidentified themselves not just with the particular political salvation tale of the GOP, but with old-school "American family values" as a sign of godliness.
- —Ed Kilgore
- the brain's tendency to overidentify faces in random shapes
overidentificationplay \ˌō-vər-ī-ˌden-tə-fə-ˈkā-shən, -ə-\ noun
- Overidentification with the child client can undermine parents …
- —Annette Shore
- … the overidentification of some students of some backgrounds as having particular disabilities.
- —Nirvi Shah