Definition of overgeneralize
- Of course, I am guilty here of grossly overgeneralizing, of caricaturing.
- —Peter Oliver
- overgeneralizes from the results of a limited study
- Since the needs of a low vision person and of a blind person can be very different, it is important not to overgeneralize the nature of visual impairment.
- —Roberto Manduchi and James Coughlan
- At a certain stage of language growth, children characteristically overgeneralize: They say sleeped instead of slept, brang (on the analogy of sang) instead of brought, and so forth.
- —Noam Chomsky
overgeneralizationplay \ˌō-vər-ˌjen-rə-lə-ˈzā-shən, -ˌje-nə-\ noun, plural overgeneralizations
- … indulge in overgeneralization from fuzzy facts, or when facts are missing.
- —Hy Ruchlis
- … stereotypical overgeneralizations about the sexes …
- —Nadine Taub and Elizabeth M. Schneider