Definition of overengineer
: to engineer (something, such as a product) to have more functions, capabilities, etc. than are necessary or desirable The pressure to overreact to feedback … will lead many companies to overengineer their products, until common sense kicks back in.— Guy Kawasaki It was advertised to last 50 years, and overengineered so it might last 100.— Stephen Flynn Our research steered us away from trying to design pockets and compartments for specific uses. We didn't want to overengineer.— Eric Rothenhaus
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Words of the Week - 6/18/21
- The Disparity Between 'Desperate' and 'Disparate'
- An Impartial View of 'Fair' and 'Fare'
- A Guide to Em Dashes, En Dashes, and Hyphens
Ask the Editors
- Return of Name that Color! Take the quiz
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game