Definition of overencourage
: to encourage (someone or something) to an extreme or excessive degree At this point it is critical for teachers not to overencourage the students or to simplify the task. Students must discover on their own that if they start to think, they can in fact solve the task.— Stanley Pogrow and Gary Londer The favorable climate for business start-ups encourages new technologies and, indeed, overencouraged them in the late 1990s.— Hans-Peter Blossfeld et al.
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game