transitive + intransitive
: to direct the activities, performance, or course of (someone or something) in an excessive or overbearing manner
- The manager is overdirecting the project.
- Avoid overdirecting the interview.
- I find that you make an actor terribly anxious when you overdirect him.
- —Sydney Pollack
- You don't want to be condescending to the audience by overdirecting their attention but by the same token you have to tell the story.
- —Clint Eastwood
- a director with a tendency to overdirect
- We parents are overprotecting, overdirecting and doing a lot of hand-holding …
- —Julie Lythcott-Haims