Definition of overdirect
: to direct the activities, performance, or course of (someone or something) in an excessive or overbearing manner The manager is overdirecting the project. Avoid overdirecting the interview. I find that you make an actor terribly anxious when you overdirect him.— Sydney Pollack You don't want to be condescending to the audience by overdirecting their attention but by the same token you have to tell the story.— Clint Eastwood a director with a tendency to overdirect We parents are overprotecting, overdirecting and doing a lot of hand-holding …— Julie Lythcott-Haims
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Do You 'Rein In' or 'Reign In' Something?
- Tiger Mom, Helicopter Parent, and More Words for Parenting Types
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 6/21/19
- An Overview of the Contronym 'Overlook'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game