Definition of overconcentration
1 : excessive concentration : the state or an instance of having too much of something or too many things or people concentrated in one place an overconcentration of junk bonds in his investment portfolio an overconcentration of people in cities The pub firm stated that there is not an overconcentration of pubs in the area.— Gordon Deegan … the risk of tyranny created by overconcentration of power …— Mark Elliott and Robert Thomas
2 : the act or an instance of concentrating too much of one's attention, effort, or resources on something or someone People want to be led, especially in unfamiliar territory. But an overconcentration on pleasing can cut short the journey before it's even begun.— Andrew Boynton … an overconcentration on a narrowly technical education at the expense of broader moral and cultural instruction.— Richard J. Evans
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
- At the Root of ‘Cubicle’
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game