Definition of overclassify
: to classify (something or someone) to an excessive degree: such as
a transitive : to divide (someone or something) into too many or unnecessary classes (see class entry 1 sense 3) The model we describe is intended to work with the differences people bring to the therapy situation, without overclassifying them based on any particular characteristics.— Charlie Johnson and Denise Webster also : to include too many or too much of (someone or something) in a class … has long argued, however, that this cutoff overclassifies children and artificially inflates diagnostic rates. — George Kapalka
b transitive + intransitive : to make (something, such as information or documents) classified (see classified entry 1 sense 2) unnecessarily The intelligence community too often overclassifies information that many of us believe should readily be available …— Pete Hoekstra We're overclassifying. We're keeping too much out of the public domain.— Robert Baer
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game