out of keeping withidiom
Definition of out of keeping with
: not agreeing with or sharing important qualities with (something) Her comments revealed a nervousness that seemed out of keeping with her calm appearance. The modern décor was out of keeping with the church's architecture.
something valued as if it were money
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game