Definition of opposite/other extreme
—used to contrast something that is beyond what is normal or reasonable in one extreme with something else that is in an opposite amount or to an opposite degree beyond what is normal or reasonable After spending lavishly for years, the company has now gone to the opposite/other extreme and has cut expenses drastically.
something valued as if it were money
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game