op·pi·dan | \ ˈäpədən, -dᵊn\
Definition of oppidan
(Entry 1 of 2)
1 : a resident of a town : townsman
a : an inhabitant of a university town not a member of the university
b : a university student living in the town rather than at a college
3 : a student at Eton College living in a residence owned by the school but situated in the town outside the limits of the original foundation — compare colleger
Definition of oppidan (Entry 2 of 2)
: of or relating to a town or to town as opposed to country
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?