:performance of a practical work or of something involving the practical application of principles or processes
- Practice until you can go through the whole operation without hesitation or thinking.
:an exertion of power or influence
:the quality or state of being functional or operative
- The plant is now in operation.
:a method or manner of functioning
- a machine of very simple operation
:a procedure performed on a living body usually with instruments especially for the repair of damage or defect or the restoration of health
- needed an operation to remove his appendix
:any of various mathematical or logical processes (such as addition) of deriving one entity from others according to a rule
- Multiplication is one mathematical operation.
:a usually military action, mission, or maneuver including its planning and execution
- military operations for a large-scale invasion
:the office on the flight line of an airfield where pilots file clearance for flights and where flying from the field is controlled
:the agency of an organization charged with carrying on the principal planning and operating functions of a headquarters and its subordinate units
:a business transaction especially when speculative
- continued his operations in cotton futures
:a single step performed by a computer in the execution of a program (see 1program 6b)
:a usually small business or establishment
- ran a struggling operation