on the sceneidiom
Definition of on the scene
—used to say that someone or something is or has become an important part of a situation, activity, etc. She was lonely for a while, but now there's a new boyfriend on the scene.a popular singer who first burst on the scene last yearOur lives have changed a lot since computers have come/appeared on the scene.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game