on the roadidiom
Definition of on the road
1 : traveling especially in a car, truck, bus, etc. We've been on the road since Tuesday. Musicians often spend many months on the road.
2 of a vehicle : being used You don't see too many of those cars on the road anymore.
3 : in good enough condition to be legally driven It will cost $1,500 to get the car back on the road.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game