on the outsideidiom
Definition of on the outside
1 : on the outer side, edge, or surface of something The number 22 car tried to pass the leader on the outside (of the track).
2 baseball : on the side of home plate farthest from the batter The next pitch was a fastball on the outside.
3 —used to describe someone's appearance I might seem calm on the outside, but I'm actually really nervous.
4 : not in prison He looked forward to life on the outside again.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?