on the outsideidiom
Definition of on the outside
1 : on the outer side, edge, or surface of something The number 22 car tried to pass the leader on the outside (of the track).
2 baseball : on the side of home plate farthest from the batter The next pitch was a fastball on the outside.
3 —used to describe someone's appearance I might seem calm on the outside, but I'm actually really nervous.
4 : not in prison He looked forward to life on the outside again.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game