on the back ofidiom
Definition of on the back of
1 : because of or on the strength of (something) Profits have increased on the back of improved international sales.
2 disapproving : by using the efforts of (other people) The company has achieved record profits on the back of cheap labor.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game