Definition of on probation
1 : being tested and watched at a new job to see if one is able to do the job properly As a new employee, I will be on probation for three months.
2 : being allowed to stay out of prison after committing a crime if one behaves well, does not commit another crime, etc. She was arrested while on probation.
3 : being watched for a period of time during which one must behave well in order not to be seriously punished after having made a serious mistake or done something bad He was on probation for cheating. The student was put/placed on probation for copying test answers.
a sum of money that is sent as a payment
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game