Definition of omphaloskepsis
: contemplation of one's navel as an aid to meditation omphaloskepsis practiced by Eastern mystics also : navel-gazing a preponderance of emotional self-awareness has sent us sliding dangerously into omphaloskepsis — Fiona McCann
Keep scrolling for more
to affect and impair by alcohol or a drug
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game