officer of the deck
Definition of officer of the deck
: the officer in charge of a naval vessel for an assigned period (as a 4-hour watch) who is stationed on the bridge while at sea or on the quarterdeck while in port, who represents the commanding officer, and who for the duration of such duty is superior to all other officers except the executive officer
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- Words We're Watching: 'Samesies'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game