of the dayidiom
Definition of of the day
1 : served in a restaurant as a special item on a particular day What's the vegetable of the day? Our soup of the day is vegetable beef.
2 : of a particular period of time What were some of the popular movies of the day? We read old newspapers to learn of the important issues of the day.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
- At the Root of ‘Cubicle’
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game