variants: or less commonly nunchion \ ˈnu̇nshən , ˈnən- , -nch- \ or nunch \ ˈnu̇nsh , ˈnən- , -nch \
plural nuncheons also nunchions or nunches
Definition of nuncheon
dialectal, chiefly England
: a light midmorning or midafternoon snack consisting typically of bread, cheese, and beer
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game