variants: or nowell \ nōˈel , ˈnōəl \
Definition of nowel
(Entry 1 of 2)
now·el | \ ˈnōəl, ˈnau̇əl\
Definition of nowel (Entry 2 of 2)
1 : the core of a mold for casting a large hollow object
2 : the bottom part of a mold or of a flask, in distinction from the cope : drag
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game