how·el | \ ˈhau̇(ə)l\
Definition of howel
(Entry 1 of 2)
1 : a cooper's plane having a convex sole for smoothing the insides of casks and for chamfering, crozing, and chiming
2 : a rounded cut above and below the croze in a barrel stave
howeled or howelled; howeled or howelled; howeling or howelling; howels
Definition of howel (Entry 2 of 2)
: to smooth with a howel
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Is the Word 'Freshman' Going Out of Style?
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game