Definition of nonsyllabic
: not constituting a syllable or the nucleus of a syllable:
a of a consonant : accompanied in the same syllable by a vowel \n\ is syllabic in \ˈbätᵊnē\ botany, nonsyllabic in \ˈbätnē\
b of a vowel : having vowel quality less prominent than that of another vowel in the syllable the second vowel of a falling diphthong, as \i\ in \ȯi\, is nonsyllabic
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Is the Word 'Freshman' Going Out of Style?
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game