Definition of nonplay
1 : activity that is not play (see play entry 1 sense 3a) —often used before another noun a nonplay area/situation
2 : a play or possible play in a game (see play entry 1 sense 1d) that is not attempted, does not count, etc. … they made three errors, a couple of misplays and one very costly nonplay: shortstop Erick Aybar allowing Hideki Matsui's inning-ending popup to drop …— Marc Topkin In a cold rain, down by two, Lindell had already made the 51-yarder—but it was ruled a nonplay because, just before the snap, Gibbs called timeout.— Marcus Hayes
Keep scrolling for more
to affect and impair by alcohol or a drug
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game