Definition of none the
—used in phrases with adjectives such as worse, better, etc., to say that someone or something is not any worse, better, etc., than before —often + for We had to change our plans, but we were none the worse for it in the end.She's been traveling constantly for the past several weeks, but she seems to be none the worse for wear.The restaurant replaced the lobster with crab and the customers were none the wiser.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game