Definition of noncommitment
1 : lack of commitment or a failure or refusal to commit to someone or something … doesn't excuse random instances of noncommitment in a long-term relationship.— Bridgette Williams " … to not link aid with a human rights policy—sends a signal around the world of our noncommitment to fairness."— Jesse Jackson Scheduling conflicts seem to be a surprisingly common excuse for missing an event that was announced a year and a half ago. Others offered mushy noncommitments [=noncommittal responses].— Jeremy W. Peters
2 : a failure or refusal to commit something or someone the government's noncommitment of troops in the region
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Do You 'Rein In' or 'Reign In' Something?
- Tiger Mom, Helicopter Parent, and More Words for Parenting Types
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 6/21/19
- An Overview of the Contronym 'Overlook'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game