Definition of nome
(Entry 1 of 2)
Definition of Nome (Entry 2 of 2)
Note: Nome was founded as a camp for gold miners circa 1898 and was a center of the great Alaskan gold rush in 1899–1903. The name is thought to be a mistaken interpretation of "? Name" written on an early navigational chart. Today, Nome is notable for the finish line of the annual Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race.
Keep scrolling for more
- 'Confuzzled': A Not So Confusing Definition
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 5/17/19
- Words with Lost Meanings
- ‘Phase’ vs. ‘Faze’
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game