: to make a quick downward motion of the head whether deliberately (as in expressing assent or salutation) or involuntarily (as from drowsiness)
- The guard nodded to us as we walked in.
- He sat nodding by the fire.
: to incline or sway from the vertical as though ready to fall
- signposts nodding in the wind
: to bend or sway the upper part gently downward or forward : bob gently
- the plumes that nodded on his helmet
- nodding flowers on long stems
: to make a slip or error in a moment of abstraction
- … Fuentes nods, and his language then falls into … an overly learned mumbo-jumbo that stops the drama of his action.
- —Robert Maurer
: to incline downward or forward
- nodded his head in agreement
: to bring, invite, or send by a nod