Definition of nitronaphthalene
: either of two yellow crystalline compounds C10H7NO2:
a : the alpha or 1-isomer made by direct nitration of naphthalene and used in making alpha-naphthylamine
b : the beta or 2-isomer made indirectly (as by nitration of tetrahydronaphthalene followed by dehydrogenation)
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?