ni·tro·aniline | \ "+\
variants: or less commonly nitraniline \ (ˈ)nī‧¦tranᵊlə̇n sometimes -ˌīn or -ˌēn \
Definition of nitroaniline
: a nitro derivative of aniline: such as
a : the bright yellow crystalline para mono derivative H2NC6H4NO2 made usually from para -nitro-chlorobenzene by reaction with ammonia or from acetanilide by nitration and hydrolysis and used chiefly as an intermediate for azo and azoic dyes
b : the orange-yellow crystalline ortho isomer made similarly to the para derivative
c : the yellow crystalline meta isomer made usually from meta -dinitrobenzene by partial reduction and used chiefly as a dye intermediate
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Is the Word 'Freshman' Going Out of Style?
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game