Definition of night shift
1 : a period of time during the night (such as from 11 p.m. to 7 a.m.) in which a person is scheduled to work He works the night shift and sleeps during the day.
2 : a group of people who work during the night shift The night shift is starting to arrive.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
- A Guide to Using Colons
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?