Definition of niello
(Entry 1 of 2)
1 : any of several black enamel-like alloys usually of sulfur with silver, copper, and lead
2 : the art or process of decorating metal with incised designs filled with niello
3 : a piece of metal or an object decorated with niello
nielloed; nielloing; niellos
Definition of niello (Entry 2 of 2)
: to inlay or ornament with niello
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Do You 'Rein In' or 'Reign In' Something?
- Tiger Mom, Helicopter Parent, and More Words for Parenting Types
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 6/21/19
- An Overview of the Contronym 'Overlook'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game