new fire ceremonynoun
variants: or less commonly new fire
Definition of new fire ceremony
: a ceremony that recurs in many cultures, is symbolic of new life, the new year, or rebirth, and involves the extinguishing of all household fires and their rekindling on the hearths from a newly kindled ceremonial fire
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
- A Guide to Using Colons
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?