variants: or less commonly neighbor tone or neighboring tone or neighboring note
Definition of neighbor note
: a nonharmonic note that is approached stepwise from above or below and returns to the previous note Within this motive and elsewhere in the movement, the semitone neighbor note will prove to be the most consequential motivic cell … — Stephen E. Hefling, ed., Nineteenth-Century Chamber Music, 1998
— called also (chiefly British) auxiliary note, auxiliary tone— see counterpoint illustration
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Bounty Hunter': A Hollywood Invention
- Casting Light on 'Angel'
- Words We're Watching: 'Lewk'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 11/8/19
Ask the Editors
- Confusing Words—A Quiz Take the quiz
- Here Be Dragons: A Creature Identification Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game