Definition of natural gender
: the phenomena in a language that resemble grammatical gender but are not the use of the pronoun she in the sentence the girl may do as she likes is an instance of natural gender, since the choice of the pronoun she is not determined by the noun girl but by the actual sex of the person to whom the noun girl refers
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game