: of, relating to, or characterized by narcissism: such as
: extremely self-centered with an exaggerated sense of self-importance : marked by or characteristic of excessive admiration of or infatuation with oneself
- a narcissistic personality
- He was a very narcissistic man, not too concerned with the world.
- —Oliver Sacks
— see also narcissistic personality disorder
- But when a mother's narcissistic needs are so great that she cannot relate to her child as he really is, she loves her child as a self-object—that is, as someone put on this earth to meet her needs.
- —Sue Erikson Bloland
: displaying or marked by excessive concern with one's own physical appearance
- … she describes the bind created for women by the judgment that a woman preoccupied with her looks is narcissistic and a woman who is not is unfeminine.
- —Carol Gilligan
- Our narcissistic culture has turned us into a nation of body-image "junkies" using everything in our power to carve, reshape, remold, and recast our bodies' natural shapes and processes so that they are better fitted to our desires.
- —Andrew Kimbrell