Definition of monody
1 : an ode sung by one voice (as in a Greek tragedy)
2 : an elegy or dirge performed by one person
3a : a monophonic vocal piece
b : the monophonic style of 17th century opera
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game