mo·nan·drous | \ -rəs\
Definition of monandrous
1 [ mon- + -androus ]
a of a plant : having flowers with a single stamen many orchids are monandrous
b of a flower : having a single stamen
2 [ Greek monandros, from mon- + -andros having (such or so many) men ] : of, relating to, or characterized by monandry a monandrous family system
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
- At the Root of ‘Cubicle’
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game