mise en placenoun
Definition of mise en place
: a culinary process in which ingredients are prepared and organized (as in a restaurant kitchen) before cooking Wash and chop vegetables the night before the party: Professionals call it mise en place; we call it making life easier. — Glamour Mise en place is the religion of all good line cooks.— Anthony Bourdain also : the set of ingredients prepared using this process The class's combined mise en place would amount to thirty-six pounds of mirepoix, big bags of all the other minces, chops, and dices … — Michael Ruhlman
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Do You 'Rein In' or 'Reign In' Something?
- Tiger Mom, Helicopter Parent, and More Words for Parenting Types
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 6/21/19
- An Overview of the Contronym 'Overlook'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game