variants: or milky spore disease
Definition of milky disease
: a destructive disease of scarab beetle grubs and especially Japanese beetle larvae that is caused by spore-producing bacteria (Paenibacillus popilliae synonymBacillus popilliae or Paenibacillus lentimorbus synonym Bacillus lentimorbus) and is is marked by an the opaque, milky appearance of the infected larvae
Note: Commercial preparations containing spores of the causative bacteria are used to cause milky disease in the biological control of Japanese beetle infestations.
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Words We're Watching: 'Samesies'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game