variants: or milky spore disease
Definition of milky disease
: a destructive disease of scarab beetle grubs and especially Japanese beetle larvae that is caused by spore-producing bacteria (Paenibacillus popilliae synonymBacillus popilliae or Paenibacillus lentimorbus synonym Bacillus lentimorbus) and is is marked by an the opaque, milky appearance of the infected larvae
Note: Commercial preparations containing spores of the causative bacteria are used to cause milky disease in the biological control of Japanese beetle infestations.
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?